The Personal Statement essay is the centerpiece of any college application. This workshop will lead students through a series of self-discovery exercises, honing their thoughts about their core values, their life experiences, and the essential things about themselves that they’d like to share with college admissions officers…and the world.
This is an opportunity for self-reflection and analysis, before the nitty-gritty stress of deadlines and exams and applications sets in.
- Explore topics, structures, and examples
- Participate in writing exercises that lead to two different styles of essay
- Be inspired and equipped to write their personal statement essay…and maybe even have topics ready to go for some of the supplementary essays that come later.
- Begin writing a first draft
- Get feedback, from their peers and from the workshop leader(s)
- Have their rough draft at least partly written, and have the opportunity for feedback on the final draft
Is it REALLY “life-changing”??? Well, of course, what a student gets OUT of it depends on what they put INTO it. But yes, for real!
This is an opportunity to pause – before the mad rush of senior year fully begins – and consider the events and people and experiences of life so far, and to glean meaning from those experiences. Yes, participants will get an essay out of it, but they also have the chance to look at their life through a new lens and find new meaning in it.